As many of you know, ScrewDrivers is the program that allows your computer to print from Polaris. Right now, just about everyone’s on Version 4.
There is a major upgrade available for it (Version 6), which is meant to address issues like:
- Printers suddenly not printing in Polaris without warning
- Future ScrewDrivers Version 6 updates automatically pushed out to the computer when logging into Polaris
- Better options for troubleshooting future Polaris-related printing problems.
However, there are two drawbacks to this upgrade:
- The automatic update feature will not upgrade from Version 4 to Version 6. All SHARE members that print from Polaris MUST install the first update manually.
Version 4 will need to be uninstalled first before installing Version 6:
- For Windows 7: Left-click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> click “ScrewDrivers Client v4” and then click “Uninstall”
- For Windows 8 or 10: Right-click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> click “ScrewDrivers Client v4” and then click “Uninstall”
- If you find that you already have Version 6 on your PC, no action is required.
- Version 6 will not work with Windows XP. This means if you are using this operating system, you will no longer be able to print from Polaris after April 30.
- Since Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014, software developers have been dropping support as well. Once Version 6 is installed on our servers, Version 4 will no longer function.
- Although Microsoft will also end support for Windows Vista on April 11, 2017, ScrewDrivers Version 6 does work on this operating system.
- If you have computers in your library running XP or Vista, we do recommend migrating to Windows 7 (at the minimum), Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.
As always, if you need assistance with this process, please let us know! You can submit a Help Desk ticket or call our offices at 618-656-3216.