Illinois Library System Act
The Illinois Heartland Library System's Lost Items policy is based upon the Illinois Library System Act. Section 3030 of the Act states:
- Rights and Responsibilities of the Requesting Library
- The requesting library shall be responsible for borrowed materials from the time the materials leave the supplying library until they have been returned to the supplying library. If damage or loss occurs, the requesting library shall be responsible for compensation, in accordance with the policy of the supplying library.
- The requesting library assumes full responsibility for patron initiated transactions.
23 Ill. Adm. Code 3030.Exh.A (2015)
Payment for lost or billed material is forwarded to the appropriate library in the form of a check or money order payable to the lending library, including a description of what the payment is for. The patron's library is responsible for paying for the lost or billed material if the patron does not do so.
It is important to remember that according to the ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code, section IV, no. 9: Libraries that initiate interlibrary loan transactions for Non-SHARE patrons assume responsibility for that transaction.
Material replacement costs
- With regard to material replacement costs, libraries are encouraged to use the list price of the item when possible, and to avoid excessively high default prices.
- The patron will be charged the amount identified in the patron's record for lost items.
- The decision to charge or waive a processing fee belongs to the lending library.