January 4, 2017

Home > Connect > SHARE Chat > January 4, 2017
Directors' Chat


Julia Pernicka •  Ellen Popit

Key: IHLS  Library


Julia Pernicka: Good Morning!

Christine Gerrish - Glen Carbon: Hello!

Twilla Coon: Good Morning

Kristina Benson-Du Quoin: Hello!

Ellen Popit: Happy New Year, everyone! Looks like we have a few more minutes before we begin. Pierce and janeth, can you tell us what libraries you're from?

Ellen Popit: Okay! Let the chatting begin! Chris won't be joining us today, but Julia Pernicka will be driving the Adobe Connect bus for us. Is there anything in particular that you'd like to bring up for discussion?

Diana_Centralia: Not too much going on at Centralia right now. Trying to get back to normal after the holidays.

Kay Burrous South Macon: I noticed that the other chats were not listed when I signed up for this one. Are we not going to have them?

Ellen Popit: Kay, they're being scaled back. It might have been in a SHARE newsletter or in MFT that Chris outlined the changes that would be implemented and I know that she spent considerable time before the holidays getting things listed in L2.

Julia Pernicka: from the SHARE newsletter: SHARE Chat— Beginning in January, there are going to be some changes coming to SHARE Chat. While the IHLS Directors’ Chat will continue to be held on the first Wednesday of the month from 1 to 2, using Adobe Connect, the weekly SHARE Chat sessions on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Wednesdays will be going away.

Diana_Centralia: Directors' Chats are listed.

Julia Pernicka: The Bibliographic Services staff will be adding time to the end of their monthly training sessions for questions, answers and conversations, taking the place of their monthly SHARE Chat session.

Ellen Popit: Directors chats will continue on a montly basis.

Julia Pernicka: The Circulation and Resource Sharing staff will be combining their SHARE Chat session with Circulation Forum

Melvin Library: Did I understand correctly (from the Members Matter meeting yesterday) that functional 5 day delivery is now in place?

Ellen Popit: Yes, that is what Susan Palmer said.

Ellen Popit: I know that I don't need to say anything, but just to be on the safe side---everyone knows that Per Capita Grants are due on January 15th, correct?

Susan - Sparta Public Library: Yes

Esther Curry--C.E. Brehm Memorial PLD: Yes

Teresa (Paris): I submitted mine before Christmas so I wouldn't forget!

Ellen Popit: And, it's never too early to complete your Interlibrary Loan Traffic Survey and complete your annual certification!

Diana_Centralia: Ellen, your reminders are always welcome!

Ellen Popit: Thanks, Diana! Here's the certification link.

Ellen Popit: Many of you attended the Members Matter Meeting yesterday via Zoom. How was your experience?

Esther Curry--C.E. Brehm Memorial PLD: I like that you added the option to attend by Zoom.

Esther Curry--C.E. Brehm Memorial PLD: Now I can attend more often

Teresa (Paris): A little odd, but good. I had to use the office computer without microphone or camera.

Ellen Popit: Yes, having a mic and/or a camera does make the experience better.

Melvin Library: Are the Members Matter meetings recorded and available to watch later? Was busy with patrons during parts of the meeting...

Teresa (Paris): However, not complaining about attending online - very little money in the budget for travel anymore so remote is a great option.

Ellen Popit: Those aren't recorded. There would need to be a video component and that's not something we're currently doing.

Ellen Popit: I stand corrected! Julia, do you want to chime in?

Teresa (Paris): We're busy revamping children's programs here - started Mother Goose on the Loose in Nov. A weekly preschool storytime starts Saturday and 1000 Books b/4 Kindergarten is ready to launch in two weeks.

Julia Pernicka: Since Zoom was an option for yesterday's meeting, I did start recording the meeting about 25 minutes into it. I haven't checked the quality yet. I will link to the recording in the next Moving Forward Together.

Melvin Library: Naturally it was part of the first 25 minutes I missed :)

Julia Pernicka: I'm sorry about that. I was off site and didn't think about it being an option for a while.

Melvin Library: No problem Julia.

Diana_Centralia: We've started fundraising for an interactive play wall in our learning center. We just received notice that we are getting money from the Great Expectations Foundations for the project.

Ellen Popit: Looks like things are going well in Paris and Centralia! What kind of funding will you receive for the wall?

Diana_Centralia: The foundation grant is a little over a third of the projected cost. We have some private donations, local organizations, and are currently researching crowding among other ideas.

Diana_Centralia: **crowdfunding**

Diana_Centralia: "CLOUD" I quite! I'm going home! :)

celeste - urbana free: Urbana Free will start circulating guitars and amps by the end of the month. I'm advocating to circulate a couple of ukeleles, too!

Melvin Library: How long is the circulation period Celeste?

celeste - urbana free: probably 2 weeks - let me check.

Melvin Library: Just curious...

Melvin Library: We did circulate cake pans at one time with only modest success.

Ellen Popit: I'd like to make another plug and encourage anyone who can to register for one of the legislative events that ILA is sponsoring in our area. A luncheon at the Holiday Inn in Mt. Vernon on February 27th and a breakfast at the Sunset Hills Country Club in Edwardsville on March 3rd. For those of you more central than southern, there will also be a luncheon in Bloomington on March 3rd. Here's the link from ILA. I'm beyond thrilled that they're coming as far south as Mt. Vernon!!!! If you can get trustees to attend, the more the better!

celeste - urbana free: two weeks, up to 5 renewals (like everything else), and you can have up to 10 pieces of equipment checked out (record players, globes, telescopes, microscopes, etc.)

celeste - urbana free: Thanks for the plug, Ellen!

Diana_Centralia: Thanks Ellen. Will definitely pass on to the trustees.

Julia Pernicka: Celeste, will these just to your library patrons?

Julia Pernicka: Sorry, will these just circulate to your patrons?

Ellen Popit, IHLS: Thanks Diana. I really hope Mt. Vernon gets a good showing, since it's the first time a library event like this has been held there.

Esther Curry--C.E. Brehm Memorial PLD: I know that a couple of our trustees are interested in attending.

Ellen Popit, IHLS: Great, Esther! I wonder if many of our legisltors really realize the weath of resources that are provided within local libraries and the access their constituents have through resource sharing?

Ellen Popit, IHLS: When you think of the poverty in so many of our communities, that's a real value!

Esther Curry--C.E. Brehm Memorial PLD: Very true!

Ellen Popit, IHLS: What else is on your minds? Any questions for discussion?

Teresa (Paris): Any ideas for promoting library events? We use local newspaper, Facebook, Pinterest, Remind texts, email newsletter, Wowbrary, . . . and we still don't reach as many as we wish.

Tamara McRill Chambers: On the SHARE catalog site -- When I filter for our library only it gives results that I finally figured out were ours, but when you click on Available? it says there are no items available locally. But then our library is listed in the all branches. Why is that? Or what am I doing wrong?

Diana_Centralia: Teresa, our local radio station has an online calendar that we can submit to.

Ellen Popit, IHLS: Tamara, let us know what library is yours. If we can't answer during the chat, we'll get back to you.

celeste - urbana free: Sorry - yes, equipment of all types can be checked out by reciprocal borrowers :-)

celeste - urbana free: we won't send the items to your via ILL, though.

Tamara McRill Chambers: Lovington Public Library District. Thanks!

Ellen Popit, IHLS: Teresa, that was also a discussion at our meeting yesterday. And I think the consensus was that we all just do the very best we can and reaching everyone we'd like is that goal for whic

Ellen Popit, IHLS: sorry, for which we are always reaching.

Susan - Sparta Public Library: For children's programs our school will include the library event in their newsletter. That reaches a lot of families.

Diane - Breese P.L.: I'm a new director (as of July). I just opened a bill from IHLS for Dreamhost Domain Name. Does anyone know what this is?

Julia Pernicka: Tamara - Lesley Zavediuk will contact you on your question.

janeth: I sent my Per Capita forms for Carlinville PL yesterday. Will I get an email acknowedging that it was received?

Diane - Breese P.L.: Sorry...this is Angie Chute, not Diane.

Ellen Popit, IHLS: Janeth, you can always shoot Jeanne Urbanek at the state library an e-mail to verify that it has been received. Jeanne's e-mail is: jurbanek@ilsos.net

Julia Pernicka: Have you visited the grants page on the IHLS website? Did you find anything promising to apply for?

Susan - Sparta Public Library: I saw the Will Eisner grant somewhere and I think it was on the IHLS website. I'm super interested in applying for that.

Ellen Popit, IHLS: Angie, I'll get that answer for you in a minute or two. I can e-mail you after the session is completed.

Ellen Popit, IHLS: Looks like it's 2:00. Let's meet back here on February 1st! Stay warm!

Kathy Goleman - Divernon Township Library: Thanks

Julie Jarman Staunton PL: Janet, I did get an email the very next day saying they received my per cap application-- yay,,it is done for one more year.