MARC tag 1XX
In records for popular or traditional music sound recordings, if the principal performer is recorded in a 7XX field, change to the appropriate 1XX field. (Don’t forget: when there’s a 1XX in a record, the 245 should have a 1st indicator 1).
General material designation (gmd)
Add a gmd as indicated below to all records for sound recordings or preloaded audio players.
- For all sound recordings except preloaded audio players, including records for audiobooks with an accompanying book:
- For preloaded audio players (i.e. Playaways, GoReaders):
Add the following edition statements, as appropriate. These may be added to an existing edition statement, separated by a comma:
- Always add an edition statement to records for audiobooks to indicate abridged or unabridged. This edition statement should be added to master records in OCLC. The abridged or unabridged edition statement should come first in the 250 field, followed by any other appropriate edition statements
Local edit: Add an edition statement as indicated below, as appropriate. Do not add to master records in OCLC:
- Add an edition statement to records for MP3 sound recordings and vinyl albums to distinguish format
- Add an edition statement to records for preloaded audio players such as Playaway and GoReader to distinguish brand
245 $h[sound recording]
250 _ _ $aAnniversary edition, [MP3-CD].
245 $h[electronic resource]
250 _ _ $aAbridged, [Playaway].
245 $h[sound recording]
250 _ _ $a[Vinyl LP]. or [Vinyl EP].
Add the following subject headings, as appropriate:
655 _0 $aMP3 (Audio coding standard)
Preloaded audio players
655 _0 $aElectronic books.
655 _0 $aPlayaway (Preloaded audio player)
690 _ _ $aGoReader (Preloaded audio player)
For Playaways and other preloaded audio players, code Fixed field Form of Item (position 29) as q – direct electronic. Code other fixed fields as appropriate for sound recordings.
Polaris Type of Material (TOM)
Make sure MARC tag 007 is coded correctly to generate the appropriate format icon: Audio Book on Cassette or Audio Book on CD.
If MARC tag 007 is incomplete, a generic Audio Books icon will be generated. Edit as needed to generate the appropriate icon as above.
Book and cassette or CD
If your item is an audiobook with an accompanying book:
- Add MARC tag 006 with code a in subfield a (position 00). Code other subfields as appropriate
- Ensure MARC tag 007 is coded correctly to generate the appropriate format icon: Book+Cassette or Book+CD
Other nonmusical sound recordings
If your resource truly is a nonmusical sound recording and not an audiobook (examples include recordings of speeches, interviews, sound effects, etc.):
- Ensure the Type of Record field in the LDR is coded i (Nonmusical sound recording)
- Delete MARC tag 007