MARC tag 1XX
In records for popular or traditional music sound recordings, if the principal performer is recorded in a 7XX field, change to the appropriate 1XX field. (Don’t forget: when there’s a 1XX in a record, the 245 should have a 1st indicator 1).
General material designation (gmd)
Add a gmd as indicated below to all records for sound recordings or preloaded audio players.
- For all sound recordings except preloaded audio players, including records for audiobooks with an accompanying
- For preloaded audio players (i.e. Playaways, GoReaders):
Add the following edition statements, as appropriate. These may be added to an existing edition statement, separated by a comma:
- Always add an edition statement to records for audiobooks to indicate abridged or unabridged. This edition
statement should be added to master records in OCLC. The abridged or unabridged edition statement should come
first in the
250field, followed by any other appropriate edition statements
Local edit: Add an edition statement as indicated below, as appropriate. Do not add to master records in OCLC:
- Add an edition statement to records for MP3 sound recordings and vinyl albums to distinguish format
- Add an edition statement to records for preloaded audio players such as Playaway and GoReader to distinguish brand
245 _ _ ‡h[sound recording]
250 _ _ ‡aAnniversary edition, [MP3-CD].
245 _ _ ‡h[electronic resource]
250 _ _ ‡aAbridged, [Playaway].
245 _ _ ‡h[sound recording]
250 _ _ ‡a[Vinyl LP]. or [Vinyl EP].
Add the following subject headings, as appropriate:
655 _ 1 ‡aMP3 (Audio coding standard)
Preloaded audio players
655 _ 0 ‡aElectronic books.
655 _ 0 ‡aPlayaway (Preloaded audio player)
690 _ _ ‡aGoReader (Preloaded audio player)
For Playaways and other preloaded audio players, code Fixed field Form of Item (position 29) as q – direct electronic. Code other fixed fields as appropriate for sound recordings.
Polaris Type of Material (TOM)
Make sure MARC tag
007 is coded correctly to generate the appropriate format icon: Audio Book on Cassette or
Audio Book on CD.
If MARC tag
007 is incomplete, a generic Audio Books icon will be generated. Edit as needed to generate the
appropriate icon as above.
Book and cassette or CD
If your item is an audiobook with an accompanying book:
- Add MARC tag
006with code a in subfield a (position 00). Code other subfields as appropriate
- Ensure MARC tag
007is coded correctly to generate the appropriate format icon: Book+Cassette or Book+CD
Other nonmusical sound recordings
If your resource truly is a nonmusical sound recording and not an audiobook (examples include recordings of speeches, interviews, sound effects, etc.):
- Ensure the Type of Record field in the LDR is coded i (Nonmusical sound recording)
- Delete MARC tag
007from master records in OCLC.