A message from Delivery
Transporting Freebies: Recently we have seen an increase in freebies (gift and donation items) traveling through the system. We want to remind our members of the proper procedures to follow when sending freebies. Items that are traveling to a library within your hub can be placed in your daily tub. If items are going to a library in another hub they need to be boxed and labeled with a completed official IHLS transit label. Please be sure to mark the number of items that are inside of the box and remember boxes cannot exceed 40lbs. We are happy to assist libraries in sharing their materials and appreciate your partnership and cooperation.
SHARE Circulation Day
Join us for the first ever SHARE Circulation Day on Friday, July 24. Topics covered during this day long workshop include: marketing eResources, book repair, and circulation in Polaris of course! Visit L2 to view the day’s schedule and to register. As a result of the number of staff who have signed up to participate, the book repair class will be conducted from 9 to 12. If additional people sign up prior to July 15, an afternoon class may be added.
Signed up for the book repair class? Each participant is asked to bring: one or two paperback books, preferably new or new-like, to demonstrate covering techniques; a hardbound book with a book jacket to demonstrate application of book jacket covers; a stapled book or magazine; one hardbound book that needs repair and a “naked” hardbound book; i.e., a hardbound book that does NOT have a book jacket cover.
Special Interest Group meetings
We’ve frequently heard that staff at IHLS member libraries would like to have more face-to-face meetings in order to share ideas, ask questions, and get needed information. Did you know there are many special interest groups already established within the bounds of IHLS? Many of these groups were formed prior to the merger of the four legacy systems, and each group has indicated that they would welcome new members.
- Small Public Libraries - meets at regular intervals, with members from the former Rolling Prairies Library System. For more information, please contact Donna Cunningham at the Athens Public Library.
- Medium Pubs - meets at regular intervals, with members from the former Rolling Prairies Library System. For more information, please contact Lacey Wright at the Barclay Public Library or Richard Sumrall, at the Lincoln Public Library District.
- SLING (School Library Information Network Group) - meets at regular intervals, with members from the former Lewis & Clark Library System. For more information, please contact Annette Mills at Triad High School library.
- Metro East Public Library Directors - meets once a month, typically on the fourth Tuesday of the month. For more information, please contact Molly Scanlon at the O’Fallon Public Library.
- Southern Illinois Public Librarians’ Networking group - meets at regular intervals, with members from the former Shawnee Library System. For more information, please contact Loretta Broomfield at Sallie Logan Public Library or Diana Sussman at Carbondale Public Library.
- SWAYS (Southwest Advocates for Youth Services) - meets at regular intervals, with members from the former Lewis & Clark Library System. For more information, please contact Carol Brockman at Daugherty Public Library, or Sharon Wyndham at Hayner Public Library.
- LibNet - meets on the fifth Tuesday of the month, with members from the former Shawnee Library System. For more information, please contact Susan Colbert at Sparta Public Library.
- SLIDE (Small Library Issues: Discussion and Exchange) - meets on the third Monday of the month, at a different library each month. Members are primarily from Macoupin and Montgomery counties. For more information, please contact Janet Howard at Carlinville Public Library.
- Starting in September! SHARE Circulation Forums - the SHARE Circulation and Resource Sharing Specialists (Sue Pearson, Joe DeVillez, and Lesley Zavediuk) will be hosting regional meetings for circulation staff of member libraries. The meetings will be in a different location somewhere within the bounds of IHLS each month.
- SHARE Local - making a little change in how SHARE Local is conducted during the new fiscal year! Beginning in September, meetings will be held monthly, but in a different location throughout IHLS each month. For information, please contact Chris Dawdy, IHLS Edwardsville.
If you would like to attend monthly networking meetings, but there are no groups in your area, SHARE staff would be happy to help you start a new group. Also, with the exception of the last two groups, the rest of the groups are sponsored by member libraries. If your group would like for a SHARE staff member to attend-- to provide information as needed or appropriate - please contact Chris Dawdy, IHLS Edwardsville.
From the SHARE Circulation and Resource Sharing Specialists
SHARE Circulation listserv is set up and ready to go! There will be a form to sign up on the IHLS website soon, but, in the meantime, contact Sue Pearson or Joe DeVillez and they can sign you up to get the latest news on Polaris circulation.
Dates to take note of
Tuesday, July 14, 9 to 11 - SHARE Catalogers Training Session
Wednesday, July 15, 1 to 2 - SHARE Chat with the Circulation & Resource Sharing Specialists
Wednesday, July 22, 1 to 2 - SHARE Chat re: Cataloging, Barcoding, Serials and Record Sets
Wednesday, July 22, 9 to 12 - Polaris Basic Circulation, IHLS Edwardsville
Wednesday, July 22, 1 to 3 - Polaris Advanced Circulation, IHLS Edwardsville
Friday, July 24, 9:30 to 12:30 - Searching & Matching, Rochester Public Library
Friday, July 24, 1:30 to 3:30 - Barcoding in Polaris, Rochester Public Library
Friday, July 24, 9 to 4--SHARE Circulation Day, Knights of Columbus Hall, Effingham
Monday, July 27, 9:30 to 12 - Polaris Basic Circulation, Helen Matthes Public Library, Effingham
Monday, July 27, 1 to 3 - Polaris Advanced Circulation, Helen Matthes Public Library, Effingham
Thursday, July 30, 9 to 12 - Polaris Basic Circulation, Mascoutah Public Library
Thursday, July 30, 1 to 3 - Polaris Advanced Circulation, Mascoutah Public Library
Friday, October 9, 10 am to 2 pm - IHLS Member Day, at St. Anthony Grade School, Effingham