The new and greatly improved SHARE website
As we’ve been telling you for a little while, the SHARE website has been undergoing a few changes--in organization and content--and it’s now live! We think you’ll find it to be more user-friendly, so please check it out and let us know what you think. As always, the website will continue to grow, as SHARE does, with new information added frequently. It is located at the same url as the old website—share.illinoisheartland.org
Growing Resource Sharing
I thought you all might like to know that I’ve just sent letters to all of the library directors at public and school libraries in McLean, Mason, Cass, Morgan, Scott, Pike, Livingston, Kankakee, Tazewell, Adams, and Schuyler counties, telling them about SHARE and the benefits of belonging to the largest library automation consortium in North America. If you have any interest in doing so, and if you have friends in any of those libraries, you might want to give them a call and tell them what a fabulous opportunity this is! Well, we think it is, anyway, right?
This is the first batch of letters I’ll be sending to ILLINET members who are not already members of SHARE. There are plans in place to contact every ILLINET member about SHARE.
SHARE Committee Meeting Schedule
Several people have asked when the SHARE committee meetings are held. They are now posted on L2 through December, 2016, but for future reference, this is the current schedule:
- SHARE Executive Council meets the 1st Thursday of every month at 2:30, with the next meeting scheduled for 9/1/16
- SHARE Fee/Finance/Policy committee meets the 2nd Thursday of every other month at 10:00, with the next meeting scheduled for 9/8/16
- SHARE Circulation & Resource Sharing committee meets the 2nd Thursday of every other month at 10:00, with the next meeting scheduled for 10/13/16
- SHARE Bibliographic & Cataloging Standards committee meets the 3rd Friday of every other month at 10:00, with the next meeting scheduled for 9/16/16
- SHARE eResource Committee meets on the 4th Monday of every other month at 3:00, with the next meeting scheduled for 9/26/16
All meetings are open to the public, and the link to each meeting will be posted on L2 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Most meetings are held electronically, and while we’ve had some frustrating moments in the past with all participants being able to participate with microphone and camera, we are currently testing a new electronic meeting platform called Zoom, which will allow participants to enter the meeting by computer, phone, or tablet. In other words, any device where you can check your email for a link to the meeting will work for you to participate in the meeting. The staff at Zoom have made a number of short videos (1 to 3 minutes) that may be helpful:
It’s now official!
The Illinois Heartland southern hub is currently in the process of moving from Du Quoin to the Dunn-Richmond small business incubator on the campus of SIU Carbondale. The move is happening in two phases:
|Phase 1:||During the week of August 8th, our membership, IT and SHARE staff from the Du Quoin office relocated to a suite of offices in the Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center. The address is: 1740 Innovation Drive; Carbondale, IL 62903. This phase is now complete.|
|Phase 2:||Our operations (delivery) staff will move the weekend of September 10 and 11.|
We designed the move of our staff in two steps to accommodate member service needs:
- SHARE staff were moved prior to K-12 school members opening mid- to late-August. SHARE staffers wanted to be settled in their new space so they were prepared to assist these members if they faced any issues due to the July Polaris upgrade.
- Operations staff will be moved in September because of our participation in ILDS (Illinois Library Delivery Service) delivery to CARLI (Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois) members. Now in our second month of this project, we are learning more about delivery volumes and making adjustments to routes to better handle the needs of our academic library members.
Because our IT staff is now located in Carbondale our videoconferencing equipment has been moved there as well. Effective immediately all meetings/trainings originally scheduled for the Du Quoin location will be relocated to Carbondale. The southern location for our August 23 board meeting will be the Carbondale location.
All phone numbers will remain the same and visitor parking is plentiful in the front of the building. When visiting this location, follow campus signage to the Southern Illinois Research Park.
Dates to take note of
Please note that when we encourage you to sign up for an event in L2—whether it’s a training session, a chat, or a meeting—there’s a reason! For public libraries, when you have to determine your CE hours for the IPLAR, if you’ve signed up for all of the events you’ve attended, they will show up on your CE report. The same is true for all other library types—you just have other reasons for using that information.
|8/18/16||9:30 to 12:30||Barcoding I — Searching & Matching||IHLS Champaign|
|8/18/16||1:30 to 3:30||Barcoding II — Creating, Editing, & Deleting Item Records||IHLS Champaign|
|8/23/16||1:00 to 3:00||SHARE Circulation Forum||IHLS Carbondale|
|8/24/16||10:00 to 12:00||Polaris Basic Circulation||IHLS Champaign|
|8/24/16||1:00 to 3:00||Advanced Circulation||IHLS Champaign|
|8/24/16||1:00 to 2:00||SHARE Chat—Cataloging, Barcoding, Serials & Record Sets||Adobe Connect|
|8/25/16||9:30 to 12:30||Barcoding I — Searching & Matching||Decatur Public Library|
|8/25/16||1:30 to 3:30||Barcoding II — Creating, Editing & Deleting Item Records||Decatur Public Library|
|9/1/16||2:30||SHARE Executive Council meeting||TBA|
|9/5/16||All day||Enjoy Labor Day! All IHLS offices closed|
|9/6/16||2:00 to 4:00||Members Matter meeting||Gilman-Danforth Public Library & VTEL|
|9/7/16||1:00 to 2:00||IHLS Member Library Directors' Chat||Adobe Connect|
|9/8/16||10:00||SHARE Finance/Policy Committee meeting||TBA|
|9/13/16||9:00 to 11:00||SHARE Catalogers' Training Session||Adobe Connect|
|9/14/16||1:00 to 2:00||SHARE Chat with the IT staff||Adobe Connect|
Be sure to sign up for events of interest to you on L2!