Voting Has Closed
SHARE needs members to vote to update our SHARE policies and procedures, to better serve our members and/or follow guidelines set by organizations such as the Illinois State Library, American Library Association, or the Library of Congress.
The proposed changes include:
Establishing or Changing SHARE Policies
cloudLibrary Fee Scale Change
SHARE Fee Scale Change and Increase
These proposals were discussed at the SHARE Membership Meeting at IHLS Member Day on Thursday, November 7, 2019 in Effingham, Illinois, and a recording of that meeting is below. Additional information about the changes AND supporting documents are available for your review below. SHARE governance requires that the majority of member libraries submit a vote on the proposed changes, so please take a quick minute to cast your ballot on behalf of your library. Each member library can only vote once. If your library has multiple locations (schools, branches, etc.), please choose one authorized person to vote on behalf of your agency.
Recorded SHARE Membership Meeting
Did you miss the SHARE Membership Meeting after IHLS Member Day? Watch the recording now.
The following items were up for member vote:
The SHARE Executive Council has suggested a change to the current voting process. The council determined that a tiered voting process may be appropriate when the vote in question is only applicable to some libraries. They propose that changes to cataloging policy should be voted on by a quorum of cataloging libraries, and changes to the eResources policy should be voted on by a quorum of eResources participants in order to streamline the voting process.
cloudLibrary Fee Scale
The SHARE Executive Council, in conjunction with the SHARE Finance & Policy Committee and the SHARE eResources Committee, has been examining the cloudLibrary Fee Structure and would like to make a recommendation for revision to the SHARE Membership.
A member asked the eResource Committee to review the current eResource Fee Structure. There was concern that the current scale was unfair, because it was based partly on collection expenditures that are not always included in the SHARE database. The committee explored the issue and came up with a new option based on library revenue. The goal was to find different methods that generate a similar amount of revenue to pay for this program, without a collective increase (even while some individual libraries will see a change).
There were many thoughtful comments, and it became clear that the current structure is unpopular. When discussing the options, the only consensus was that it is difficult to change the basis of calculations without some libraries seeing potentially dramatic increases or decreases.
The SHARE Finance and Policy Committee reviewed member comments and utilized that feedback to make additional changes. The option that is up for vote was selected because it has the least amount of dramatic changes, while also spreading any increases among more libraries. This option is also the most equitable to the group at large, since the libraries with the least amount of revenue will also be the libraries paying the least.
While you consider this change, please also consider each library’s purchasing power. Right now, 25% of each library’s fee goes directly to the bibliotheca platform fee, with the remaining 75% spent towards the pay-per-use eAudio collection and purchasing, either directly by individual libraries or via centralized purchasing. This means that if the fee changes, then the percentage each library is allocated toward purchases will also change. For those libraries that choose to buy more for the program in excess of the set fee, they will be billed directly from IHLS, which is the current process. Members in the cloudLibrary program also now have the option to add additional funds to the group account for centralized purchasing.
The attached documents include details about the change in the fee structure as well as how the change will impact each library. If you have any questions regarding this change, please contact Cassandra Thompson.