This policy applies to serials that are published annually or less frequently, such as test books, travel guides, etc.:
- Use a serial bibliographic record or appropriate monograph bibliographic record for resources that will not circulate in Polaris (i.e. reference material).
- If attaching to a serial bibliographic record, please complete the Volume field in the item record
- If attaching to a monograph bibliographic record, leave the Volume field blank
- Use a monograph bibliographic record for resources that will circulate in Polaris. Do not attach to a serial bibliographic record
- If there is a gap of 5 years or more between editions of a serial, use a monograph bibliographic record, even if the resource will not circulate in Polaris
- If a non-circulating resource attached to a serial bibliographic record is changed to circulating, the item record must be transferred to the appropriate monograph bibliographic record. Delete information in the Volume field of the item record
- If a circulating resource changes to non-circulating, the item record may stay on the monograph bibliographic record, or may be transferred to the appropriate serial record. If transferred to a serial record, complete the Volume field.
- Retrospective cataloging of existing items is recommended, but not required
- Serials covered in this policy will be attached to the appropriate serial or monograph bibliographic record through the cataloging module. Periodicals (i.e. magazines or journals) will be attached to a serial bibliographic record through the Polaris serials module