All 1XX and 7XX fields in RDA records should include subfield e with the appropriate relationship designator(s).
- Add subfield e to these fields if not already present
- In MARC tags 1XX and 7XX that contain subfield 4 with a three-character relator code, change subfield 4 to subfield e with the appropriate relationship designator
- Editing of existing Polaris records is recommended, but not required
Prefer terms from Appendix I in the RDA Toolkit. If the Toolkit is not available or no appropriate term is found in the Toolkit, use a term from the MARC Code List for Relators. If no term is found, contact SHARE Bibliographic Services staff for assistance.
Subfield e may be repeated within a field when the entry is responsible for more than one function. The subfields are separated by a comma.
Subfield e is preceded by a comma or by a dash at the end of an open date in subfield d. There is a period after the relationship designator in the last subfield e.
In a record for a DVD:
700 1_ $aJolie, Angelina,$d1975-$4pro$4dir
700 1_ $aJolie, Angelina,$d1975-$eproducer,$edirector.
PAC display: Jolie, Angelina, 1975- producer, director.
Original and copy cataloging
- When creating original records in RDA, add subfield e and the appropriate relationship designator(s) to MARC tags 1XX and 7XX
- When doing copy cataloging, change subfield 4 to subfield e with the appropriate relationship designator. Also, change subfield e with the abbreviation ill. to the spelled-out form illustrator. It is optional to save these changes to the OCLC master record.
Relator codes and terms are found in the MARC Code List for Relators. Some relator terms are also found in Appendix I and K of the RDA Toolkit. If no appropriate term is found, contact SHARE Bibliographic Services staff for assistance.
A relationship designator describes the relationship of an entry to the resource being cataloged. Subfield 4 is used with creator and contributor fields and contains a relationship designator in the form of a three-character code. Subfield e is also used with these fields, and contains the spelled-out relationship designator.
For PAC display, it is intended that the relator code display as the corresponding relationship designator rather than the code itself. However, because Polaris does not have the capability to translate the code to the corresponding designator, subfield 4 should be replaced with subfield e.